Kickass Kili have done it again. Their inimitable Golden Hillside shiraz is a firm ‘fo fave, and consistently one of the fastest selling vinos we bring in. Not surprising, really. Rambunctious cherries and burstingly-juicy berries are just contained by a toasty coating of fabulous French oak. No rush to drink this beauty, it’ll keep the rest of your cellar very good company for a decade, easy.
It’s cool, we get it, you want to know absolutely everything about this wine. Well here you go, go nuts.
- Clare Valley
- Alcohol by Vol.
- Bottle Vol
- Blend Info
- 100% Shiraz
- Serving Temp.
Riesling lovers need look no further. If there is a shrine to the Rizza God then it's in the Clare, on Jeffrey Grosset's doorstep. Germans can have their off-dry whites to keep their Grandmas happy - we have the finest, longest-lived dry Rieslings that the world has to offer. There I said it.Why Riesling hasn't made the comeback that it should have just goes to show how affected people are by past conceptions. In fact, if value for money were truly reflected in wine price and not driven by demand from the few true lovers, Riesling would be five times the price. You can't buy the best Shiraz in the world for $60, but you can damn well get the best Riesling. Enjoy the savings while they still exist.
The rules are there ain’t no rules, but here are some foods we think will work pretty well with this wine...
Traditional roast lamb
- 2kg leg of lamb, fat trimmed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1.5kg chat potatoes
- Basic gravy (makes 2 to 2 1/2 cups):
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 2 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Lightly grease roasting pan. Place lamb in pan. Combine oil, rosemary and garlic in a bowl. Rub half the oil mixture over lamb. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Roast lamb, basting with remaining oil mixture every 20 minutes, for 1 hour 15 minutes for medium or until cooked to your liking. Add potatoes to pan for last 40 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
- Remove lamb from oven. Cover loosely with foil. Stand for 10 minutes. Carve. Serve with potatoes.
- Basic Gravy: Transfer meat (and any vegetables) to a plate to rest. Combine stock and wine in a jug. Skim fat from roasting pan, leaving 1 1/2 tablespoons pan juices and fat in pan. Place pan over high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture bubbles and becomes golden. Add juices from resting meat. Slowly add stock mixture to pan, stirring constantly. Cook, scraping pan, for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened.